Saturday, June 2, 2012

Creating Encouraging Environments

This is a quiz from the book, "Easy to lLove, Difficult to Discipline" by Becky A. Bailey, Ph.D.  I would highly recommend it to everyone that is either raising children, teaching students, treating spouses, treating co-workers or even raising dogs.  :)

Do you tend to encourage or discourage yourself?  The following quiz can help you pinpoint your tendency:

1.  During the course of one day, I tend to focus more on:  (A) My assets and strengths  (B) My liabilities and weaknesses.

2.  Typically, I:  (A) Accept myself as I am  (B) Focus on what is wrong and needs changing (too fat, too thin, too something)

3.  I generally talk to myself in a way that: (A) Builds self-confidence (B) Makes me feel confused or inadequate.

4.  During the day, I tend to think about:  (A) What I currently am doing  (B) What I should be doing

5.  I notice:  (A) My efforts and improvements  (B) That I am not where I think I should be

6.  As life unfolds, I tend to:  (A) Judge events as good or bad  (B) Notice the turn of events without the need to judge

If you answer more A answers than B answers, you are probably good at encouraging yourself.  If you selected more B answers, you may tend to discourage yourself.  If you routinely discourage yourself, you will unconsciously discourage your children (or dogs).  Since change begins with you and then extends to your children (or fur kids), decide today to be kinder and more encouraging toward yourself.

To begin the change process now, say the following affirming statements out loud:

*  I will recognize and honor my own contributions to a better World.
*  I will allow myself to make mistakes and I will forgive myself.
*  I will encourage myself to be successful.
*  I will accept praise other people offer me because I know I am a valuable human being.
*  I will suspend my judgments long enough to allow my love to shine through.

IF YOU CHANGE  HOW YOU TREAT YOURSELF, YOU WILL CHANGE HOW YOU TREAT YOUR CHILDREN (STUDENTS, DOGS, SPOUSE, CO-WORKERS, BOSS, ETC...)



No comments:

Post a Comment